Sections

Call It Out. Every Time.

Don’t miss our updates:

I found myself in an awkward position with the de Blasio campaign last Friday evening. That day, while reporting on Bronx City Council primary races, I contacted the campaign to confirm something surprising on incumbent Councilmember Fernando Cabrera’s website — that the mayor had endorsed his reelection.

Surprising because Cabrera is well-known for his Christian right antagonism toward the LGBTQ community, including a trip to Uganda while that nation weighed a draconian “kill the gays” measure in its legislature. There, he produced a YouTube video praising its homophobic leaders as “the righteous.” That video, which still exists online, has been widely reported since it first surfaced in 2014.

Three and a half hours after I queried the mayor’s campaign, a spokesperson confirmed the endorsement, while saying de Blasio has always made his differences with Cabrera on LGBTQ rights known to the councilmember. We published our story, spotlighting that endorsement, late in the afternoon. More than five hours later, the same spokesperson — just before 11 p.m. on a Friday evening — contacted Gay City News to say a “miscommuni­cation” had led him to mistakenly say de Blasio endorsed Cabrera, when in fact he hadn’t. After several attempts, the best I was able to learn about what was going on was the campaign’s assertion that it made an “internal mistake” based on “the left hand not knowing what the right hand did.”

LETTER FROM THE EDITOR

Readers will decide what they think the truth is here. Had de Blasio made the endorsement, with his campaign willing to acknowledge that up until the point it was reported in black and white, at which time a ham-handed claw-back effort began? Or had sophisticated people in politics, even after being clued in about the Cabrera YouTube video by my questioning, been so indifferent to it that they simply assumed if the councilmember said their boss endorsed him, then he must have?

This was all handled so inexpertly that it’s hard for me not to assume the worst. Unfortunately, that worst needs some context. Along with the de Blasio endorsement, Cabrera listed the Retail, Wholesale and Department Store Union, which is headed by out gay labor leader Stuart Appelbaum, as supporting him, something confirmed on the website of the RWDSU, which never responded to a query. And three years ago, in a primary challenge to staunch LGBTQ ally State Senator Gustavo Rivera, Cabrera had the support of Congressmember Charlie Rangel and Public Advocate Letitia James.

How does this happen? The best answer I’ve heard is from my friend and colleague Andy Humm, who wrote that this “is an area that shows the weakness of our movement. Open racial bigots are toxic. But open anti-gay bigotry is excused as ‘a difference on some issues.’” And that’s where we come in. It’s unacceptable that bigots like Fernando Cabrera thrive in New York politics. It is our job to call him and every one of his supporters out at every opportunity. Otherwise, this lamentable situation will never end.

Updated 5:17 pm, July 20, 2018
Today’s news:

Don’t miss our updates:

Reader feedback

sam oglesby says:
Paul, Brilliant article and commentary ! WE owe you BIG ! Keep the flag flying ! You're the BEST ! Sam Oglesby
Sept. 24, 2017, 5:08 pm
annclingmman says:
Here I observe disrespect for the person. Mankind should strive for mutual understanding resource for this web article, but unfortunately we can not agree.
Sept. 29, 2017, 5:09 am
yify says:
Thanks for sharing.Your article is awesome! How long does it take to complete this article? I have read through other blogs, but they are cumbersome and confusing. I hope you continue to have such quality articles to share with everyone! I believe there will be many people who share my views when they read this article from you!
Oct. 12, 2017, 4:16 am
Tamilrockers says:
Tamilrockers you can download tamil movies fro free without any cost or watch online at the time of release.
Oct. 13, 2017, 9:05 am
wings io says:
Your article reflects the issue people are concerned about. The article provides timely information that reflects multi-dimensional views from multiple perspectives. I look forward to reading quality articles that contain timely information from you.
Oct. 16, 2017, 12:43 am
amazon berries says:
nice post
Oct. 30, 2017, 7:13 pm
pioneerseo says:
Two full thumbs up for this magneficent article of yours. I've really enjoyed reading this article today and I think this might be one of the best article that I've read yet. Please, keep this work going on in the same quality.protein powder
Nov. 12, 2017, 3:53 am
pioneerseo says:
Really impressed! Everything is very open and very clear clarification of issues. It contains truly facts. Your website is very valuable. Thanks for sharing. baltic excursion
Nov. 28, 2017, 5:17 am
chris h says:
I really enjoy reading and also appreciate your work.
Dec. 2, 2017, 2:34 am
John says:
Your blog is extremely brilliant especially the quality content is really appreciable.insurance claim water damage
Dec. 4, 2017, 10:46 am
debbiegrier says:
Hi buddies, it is great written piece entirely defined, continue the good work constantly. click here
Dec. 5, 2017, 1:40 am
lucyjon says:
I believe this is actually the most useful blog I've been through this entire day. driving school Nottingham
Dec. 5, 2017, 3:11 am
james says:
I was concerned about my problem which I was having for some years ago but thanks to them who guided me and made that look so easy! I would definitely rate them 5 stars! http://www.TravelHacking.co.za
Dec. 9, 2017, 12:47 pm
marjorie says:
The quality of your blogs and conjointly the articles and price appreciating. 24 Hour Locksmith Pros’ Guide “What To Look For In A Great Local Emergency Locksmith Service"
Dec. 13, 2017, 2:05 am
Nomi says:
Merry Christmas 2017 Wishes
Dec. 15, 2017, 1 pm
Reyan Lewis says:
Muy interesante! Como Desenhar Manga
Dec. 19, 2017, 3:26 pm
Tim says:
It feels awe-inspiring to read such informative and distinctive articles on your websites.a review
Dec. 28, 2017, 1:25 am
Thomas says:
These are the great blogs; I assure you that I really enjoyed a lot in reading.Best Pet Care
Dec. 28, 2017, 2 am
Lawyer says:
Fine method of telling, and enjoyable article to acquire factual statements.
Jan. 1, 1:47 am
clash royale hack says:
 Gems may be used to speed up unlocking or can be used to purchase a chest. Chests contain cards and gold, and free chests and crown chests will also usually contain gems. Different levels of chests contain different numbers or types of cards. When the player has a certain number of a troop's cards, they can upgrade it, using gold, to increase its statistics.
Jan. 4, 8:40 am
hac says:
Saltwater/Marine fish and invertebrates propose a challenge, as they are sensitive to environmental changes.AquariumSI
Jan. 8, 12:05 am
hac says:
In this step-by-step guide, I’ll take you through every stage of writing a business plan that will actually help you achieve your goals.réaliser un business plan
Jan. 10, 7:26 am
Ellen says:
I have learnt various good stuff right here, and I’m sure everyone will get advantage of it.fundraising staff
Jan. 18, 6:09 am
rocky gupta says:
very Help Full Post. Look Some Different here at upsc exam
Jan. 21, 5:41 pm
jesica says:
This written piece gives fastidious understanding yet.business solicitor cambridge
Jan. 22, 6:52 am
Robert says:
What a great amount of knowledge regarding, best possible counseling at home for living a happy life and living it to the complete edge! I would surely thank them for this opportunity!secondary glazing
Jan. 23, 5:46 am
http://penessays says:
The Trump era changed the way we do our work! I feel that communities of color and other communities are significantly more mobilized than before!
Jan. 23, 7:49 am
Brian says:
I was worried about the condition of my life but then I saw advertisements and their work on the internet and I was amazed by the results the provided me through their work! I would simply suggest them for any kind of problem!organicdailypost.com
Jan. 25, 12:04 am
hac says:
 There are 1,527 graves, mostly British with 447 New Zealanders and 197 Australians. Buried in the cemetery is the archaeologist John Pendlebury.Souda
Feb. 3, 9:13 am
hac says:
Taking out your dog for a walk is one of your essential responsibilities toward your pet. frenchbulldogharness.com
Feb. 9, 1:57 pm
Jack says:
knockdown information
Feb. 21, 6:11 pm
Curso de desenho says:
Muito bacana.
March 14, 10:25 am
flipdiving2017 says:
Your site has a lot of useful information for myself. I visit regularly. Hope to have more quality items. instagram quotes
March 16, 12:55 pm
seo says:
You rock for sharing us about this redesign. Trust you won't get tired on making posts as instructive as this. Vitamin
April 14, 7:22 pm
arthur43 says:
All the details are in this post is awesome
June 21, 7:07 am
Students Assignment says:
Every student continue searching for public administration examination. Then no need to wait more IIIASA is the best public administration coaching institute in Jaipur and our staff will finish your fear and help you get the best job opportunities.
July 3, 12:43 am

Comments closed.

Classifieds

Schneps Community News Group

Don’t miss out!

Stay in touch with your community. Subscribe to our free newsletter:

Optional: