Sections

The Trouble With Andrew Sullivan

Don’t miss our updates:

Andrew Sullivan, who more than a quarter century ago stormed the American intellectual and media ramparts as the British enfant terrible, a self-styled contrarian gay Tory who became editor of The New Republic at 28, is at it again.

Writing in New York Magazine last week, Sullivan lamented the “radicaliza­tion” of the LGBTQ movement’s “ideology and rhetoric,” which as much as Donald Trump’s encouragement of intolerance, he asserted, is “surely having an impact” in “stalling [the] momentum” of the community’s advances and its acceptance by the broader American society.

For anyone who has followed Sullivan’s writing over the years, there’s nothing particularly new here. He’s making much the same argument he’s been voicing since at least as far back as his 1995 book “Virtually Normal: An Argument About Homosexual­ity,” which posited that the gay rights project was essentially one about winning access to marriage rights and military service while continuing to mainstream in order to emphasize our virtual indistingu­ishability from any other Americans.

LETTER FROM THE EDITOR

Winning marriage and open military service, of course, became attractive goals among both the community’s leading advocacy groups and many rank-and-file gay and lesbian people. At times, Sullivan has talked as though he invented the idea of gay people marrying, when in fact grassroots folks as early as 1970 had to push skittish community groups to embrace what long seemed a bridge too far.

Still, Sullivan did have a point in arguing that discrimination by the government — and our resulting excommunication from civic life — was among the most pernicious obstacles we faced. The critical flaw in his viewpoint has always been his hostility toward taking on other forms of discrimination, coming from individuals, businesses, and other private sector actors. At times, invidious comparisons he made between our battle for employment, housing, and public accommodations nondiscrimination and hate crimes protections and similar demands made earlier by the African-American community had an ugly resonance that did not go unremarked.

Sullivan’s most recent foray into the politics of our community is not nearly as provocative as some of his earlier writing. But it comes just as our community is facing a host of challenges on the legislative and judicial fronts — a rollback on recognizing transgender people’s rights and dignity, specious claims of religious liberty used to justify discrimination, and the packing of federal courts with judges who are often both unqualified and openly hostile to equality for LGBTQ Americans.

He opens his piece by pointing to what I believe are fairly flimsy results from a GLAAD poll — and Sullivan seems to agree with me on this — suggesting that Americans are souring on us. The declines are not impressive, in my book, but the one thing that is clear both from the poll and from what is happening on the ground is that those who are — and always have been — hostile to us now feel more empowered and are acting out against us, in hate crimes, in state houses, and in courtrooms.

Sullivan’s arguments, unfortunately, cosign the claims made by our opponents (at least those not coming at us with their fists), and he continues to hold a unique place in the media firmament. Only Rachel Maddow and Dan Savage, among queer pundits (as opposed to more traditional news anchors), enjoy the kind of perch he has, and should he repeat his New York Magazine argument in his appearances on “Meet the Press,” “Real Time With Bill Maher,” or CNN, he will be giving aid and comfort to the enemy in front of an audience who might easily get lost in the weeds.

After the marriage and military victories — carried over the line, he said, by largely gender-conforming leaders (though he insists perhaps a bit too predictably that they are “not in any way better than non-gender-conforming” activists) — many people declared victory and folded up their tents, as he repeatedly predicted would happen. The problem, he writes, is that “the far left filled the void.” Race and gender have become preoccupations, he says. The complexities of achieving full participation by transgender people in American life on their own terms he labels “transgende­rism,” which he denigrates by defining as simply the claim “If you don’t believe gender is nonbinary, you’re a bigot.”

And on perhaps the most potent threat to LGBTQ equality, the special right claimed by anti-queer people to discriminate based on their religious views — or even their “personal” views — Sullivan is completely MIA, dismissing the issue as emblematic of “the left’s indifference to religious freedom.”

Sullivan was born in 1963 and raised in Britain, but it’s hard to believe that earning a doctorate in government at Harvard didn’t expose him to the contested jurisprudence surrounding public accommodations law that during the 1950s and ‘60s finally put a stake in the heart of American society’s lingering Jim Crow reign of terror. When Rosa Parks refused to give up her seat on a Montgomery, Alabama, bus, when black students said it was degrading to be forced to use water fountains designated for their race, when African-American college students sat-in at lunch counters across the South, the issue was equal access to facilities and services made generally available to the public.

The Masterpiece Cakeshop case before the Supreme Court, on which Sullivan has written admiringly of the case for Jack Phillips, the baker who refused a gay couple service, is not about same-sex marriage. It is about Phillips’ refusal to abide by Colorado’s nondiscrimination law that guarantees gay people equal access in places of public accommodation. Gay and lesbian couples are not shopping around for Christian bakers to make a stink over, they are facing humiliating rejections from business people who hang signs outside their stores welcoming the public. The price of admission to operating in that public realm is that you play by the rules. Phillips doesn’t want to, and Sullivan is fine with that. I’m not fine with Sullivan, in our name, surrendering our equality and dignity.

Updated 5:17 pm, July 20, 2018
Today’s news:

Don’t miss our updates:

Reader feedback

Strepsi says:
This author nails it – public accommodations law was a vital part of civil rights, to ensure disliked minorities did not have the onus of travelling the length of a city to find a business that would "serve your kind". That it's been dressed up as Religious Freedom is yet another way the evangelical/far right unholy alliance is trying to chip away at the separation of church and state and harm minorities they don't like. I used to read Sullivan's blog, on several issues he was articulate and often right, but on religion he is almost always wrong.
Feb. 2, 4:23 pm
Behrooz Shahdaftar says:
But are small businesses public accommodations in the same way that buses, schools, and water fountains are? Suppose you owned a bakery, should you have to be forced to make a cake for a ex-gay group? As I understand it, the baker agreed to sell the couple any item on display, but wouldn’t make a cake for them. I say let him. He shouldn’t have to contribute to an event or ceremony he doesn’t believe in; just as I shouldn’t have to contribute in any way to a cause or event my conscience doesn’t support. When you look at the history of the gay rights movement, particularly before Stonewall, you notice that even our supporters didn’t get us. They saw us as developmentally delayed, or inherently transgressive. But they got the first amendment. That you don’t have to like gay people, but in a free society we can’t punish adults for danicing together just because both adults are the same gender. So it was the first amendment that saved us. And it’s the first amendment that we have to support unequivocally.
Feb. 4, 12:03 pm
translegalhistorian says:
"But are small businesses public accommodations in the same way that buses, schools, and water fountains are?" Yes. Period.
Feb. 8, 2 pm
hoangvuongthanh says:
Cam on da chia se xe nang
March 23, 3:02 am
Doug Dittmer says:
Yes, small businesses are public accommodations just as the lunch counters were in the 60s that refused to serve black Americans.
March 25, 11:07 am
buy thesis online says:
Hi, your blog is truly faultless and unique. Very wonderful your article, This is best article. I read really perfect your article more information one of other blog zone. So I like it. Thank so much for sharing this article with us. assignment writing service
April 12, 7:27 am
Rahul Singh says:
His general view is that life is simply a series of “problems” that reason can “solve”. http://www.axivasichem.com/desiccator.aspx
May 5, 6:02 am
Lolita says:
Hi. I am Lolita. I am your average audience. I'm proud of your abilities – actually, I'm satisfied of you that you post so ideal content and I will understand them. Done well!
May 16, 4:29 pm
Lucy says:
My mommy forced me to be to witness the website. I imagined it was yet an additional blog for dummies but I fast discovered that I was faulty. It can be a awesome websites with excellent information.
May 16, 4:31 pm
Jaquelin says:
It can be Jaquelin there. I honestly must express that the subject of the content is very worthwhile. I'm really like it! Great job!
May 16, 4:33 pm
Leona says:
Hi. I am just extremely delighted that you have released the articles. I have waited for it for a very long time. I'm your ordinary user and I'm pleased that I will read about the problem at your website.
May 16, 4:34 pm
Kate says:
Good content! Really a absolute joy to understand it. Congratulation! Well-done! I am waiting for additional texts.
May 17, 2:35 pm
Ella says:
Hello everyone! It is very enjoyable post. I really am astonished that you are so qualified. I didn't confidence you!
May 17, 2:36 pm
Julya says:
Congratulation on publishing stunning material! I essential state that the content is a high excellence articles and it meets all kinds of criteria. Well-done.
May 17, 2:36 pm
Jessica says:
Hello. Here is a concern for every individual who search for big excellence reports. Will you search for another website? If you consult me I will state absolutely no. That page is perfect for myself!
May 17, 2:37 pm
Laura says:
I totally agree with the earlier audience. I know the an amazing inspiration and good suggestions are great foundation to establish premium excellence information.
May 18, 5:11 pm
Kate says:
I have forever wondered how to write top quality content and release them on the website. Nowadays I must state that the task isn't for me. I leave it for pro experts.
May 18, 5:12 pm
Cherida says:
It really is very difficult to write a certified messages in a brief time period and still have minds full of tips to generate brand new ones. I need state that the blogger is a professional author.
May 18, 5:13 pm
Jessica says:
Here is a brief doubt to ask – how to organise such a awesome article? It presents all elements what make a great content. Here is a catching heading and worthwhile articles. Well done!
May 18, 5:14 pm
SarahThomas says:
Very well-written!
May 23, 8:56 am
Jaquelin says:
Good content! Actually a pure enjoyment to study it. Congratulation! Well done! I'm waiting for much more messages.
May 23, 3:28 pm
Matilda says:
Hey everyone! It is very helpful article. I'm surprised that you are so good. I didn't esteem you!
May 23, 3:29 pm
Cherida says:
Congratulation on writing incredible documents! I should mention that the document is a high standard content and it meets all sorts of standards. Well done.
May 23, 3:30 pm
Meagan says:
Hi. There is an issue for everybody who look for high excellence content. Will you try to find different blog? If you consult me I will say NO. This page is perfect for myself!
May 23, 3:30 pm
Matilda says:
I have got to declare that it really is one of the most worthwhile information I have actually study. It is also expertly printed. I am an french teacher so I know what I suggest.
May 24, 5:09 pm
Jaquelin says:
Great article! It will get a natural delight to browse it. Congratulation! Well-done! I'm looking for much more texts.
May 24, 5:10 pm
Melanie says:
Hi every person! It actually is very interesting post. I really am astonished that you are so qualified. I don't confidence you!
May 24, 5:10 pm
Leona says:
Congratulation on composing great documents! I need express that the review is a significant quality articles and it satisfies all kinds of standards. Well done.
May 24, 5:11 pm
Alice says:
In my viewpoint, not lots of bloggers own so many strategies to generate unique, intriguing content. I appreciate doing it and I desire you didn't lose the inspiration to make the new ones!
May 25, 2:11 pm
Yeresa says:
I totally agree with the past viewer. I feel the big determination and excellent feedback are wonderful basis to make top quality information.
May 25, 2:12 pm
Nicole says:
I have still wondered how to put together top quality items and write them on the site. These days I must say that the work is not for me. I leave it for certified experts.
May 25, 2:13 pm
Kelly says:
It's very hard to create a professional messages in a brief time period and nonetheless have minds full of concepts to make latest ones. I need mention that the blogger is a professional author.
May 25, 2:14 pm
torrents says:
Absolutely facinating stuff! Where do you come up with the ideas to write about that and what kind of research goes in to it? Very, very impressive.
May 31, 11:36 pm
Ledipasvir says:
Buy Harvoni Online
June 13, 12:15 am
Ledipasvir says:
Harvoni Online
June 13, 12:15 am
Ledipasvir says:
Generic Harvoni Online
June 13, 12:15 am
Ledipasvir says:
Harvoni
June 13, 12:15 am
huong says:
Hello everyone, in this article I find it very nice and useful for everyone, each reader has their own feel, to me a person to do trung tâm bảo hành tủ lạnh Hitachi I feel very good
July 3, 4:59 am
huong says:
July 3, 5:23 am
huong says:
July 3, 6:27 am

Comments closed.

Classifieds

Schneps Community News Group

Don’t miss out!

Stay in touch with your community. Subscribe to our free newsletter:

Optional: